Your local library provides a wide range of resources and activities.
Schools can access all of the services for primary schools through the larger branches or a central library. Schools can also access some services through smaller part-time branches.
Class visits to your library branch
Your partner library branch will accommodate class visits from your school to the library, arranged locally in advance.
A selection of class readers are available in Kilkenny Library Service. Please contact your local branch for brochure and more information. Please note this is on a first come first serve basis and novels can be requested.
A teacher’s card made available to every teacher in the school which will enable each teacher to borrow items for his/her class.
Each primary teacher in your school will be entitled to receive a teacher’s card, on request, from your library service. The card will enable a teacher to borrow items for his/her class.
- A presentation(s) on the library services may be available on request.
- Your local library service can provide a presentation on the library services on request and at a time agreed with the school principal, as part of in-service training, or at your school to teachers, pupils or parents.
- A range of relevant library resources and services provided to your school
- The services available to your school include the provision of:
- Reading and curriculum support materials
- Online learning resources
- Resource and reference support for school projects in response to teacher requests
- Reading spaces available within your library branch, a reading space for children will be available in your partnered library branch as well as access to electronic resources.
- Reference and research guidance provided to pupils for their project work. Your library branch can provide reference resources and research assistance to pupils and teachers for school project work.
- Resources for parents to strengthen children’s literacy and numeracy skills. Parents can be introduced to the range of library resources and activities available to support their children’s literacy and numeracy skills development.
- Library programmes and initiatives ongoing and during school holiday periods. Your library service, through its branch network, will provide ongoing library programmes and initiatives throughout the year, including an annual summer activities’ programme, to support the continuing development of children’s literacy and numeracy skills. In recent times these have been made available on-line.
The local studies department of your library service can provide access to a wide range of historical material about your local area, including maps, photographs, documents and information.
Printing and photocopying services available to all students in all branches and wifi printing available in some. Age restrictions apply for primary school children around access to public computers. Contact your local library for more information