From May 11th 2021, Kilkenny County Library service is pleased to welcome back our users under the Book and Browse model in selected branches
Book and Browse is the next phase of Kilkenny County Council Library’s reopening of library services. Library members can contact participating branches by online booking, email or phone to book a date and time to visit the branch.
The health and safety of library customers and staff governs all decisions regarding the gradual re-opening of library services and we are working with national guidelines in relation to social distancing and sanitation to provide a safe library experience.
Book and Browse (FAQs) Frequently Asked Questions
How do I access Book and Browse?
- Book and Browse is available in the City Library, John's Quay, Castlecomer, Graiguenamanagh, Loughboy, Ferrybank and Urlingford Libraries. Callan and Thomastown libraries offer a 'Contact and Collect' service.
You can access the service as follows:
By using our online booking forms by clicking the 'Book and Browse' button below:
Data Privacy Notice
A detailed description of how Kilkenny County Library address data protection issues can be found by accessing the following web page links –
Our privacy Statement can be accessed here
Kilkenny County Councils Data Protection Policy here
Details of how you can exercise your rights as a data subject under GDPR here
Contact details for Kilkenny County Council’s Data Protection Officer, Corporate Services,
Kilkenny County Council, County Hall, John Street, Kilkenny. Telephone: 056 7794277 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
or alternatively by email/phone
Browsing slots are a half hour in duration. To maintain social distancing a maximum number will be accommodated in each library as follows
- Castlecomer (10)
- Graiguenamanagh (12)
- City Library (12)
- Loughboy (12)
- Ferrybank (10)
- Urlingford (8)
Members must book an individual slot for each individual. Children under 12 must be accompanied by Parent/Guardian
What days will the Book and Browse service be available?
What do I do when I arrive?
- Members must have pre-booked a slot before they arrive. Members must arrive at the designated time.
- Staff will monitor both queue and access into the building and direct each visitor to use the hand sanitiser which will be provided at the entrance, sanitising is mandatory for all members.
- The wearing of face coverings is mandatory in line with Government Regulations
- Kilkenny County Council Library Service is committed to a safe working and customer-based service at all times. Safe queuing practices, increased cleaning of doors and surfaces, social distancing are all in place and our staff are trained in hand hygiene and safe respiratory hygiene.
Can I collect items for someone else?
- Yes, you can nominate someone else to select items. The nominated person will need to bring the library card of the person they are selecting items for to the Library. Remember to contact the library to book an appointment. The nominated person must come at the appointed time.
Can I return previously borrowed items?
- Members can return previously borrowed items to the dedicated Book Bins Return. Boxes/bins will be provided at each site and inside for returns. This is the preferred method of returning items.
- Kilkenny County Council Library Service is following national guidelines for safe handling of library materials.
- You can also return your items to any participating Book and Browse Libraries during their operating times, details on www.kilkennylibrary.ie
What can I borrow/request?
- Members can borrow 12 items – this applies to all member categories
- Members to use self-service for issuing in as much as possible and members must sanitise their hands before each use
When will my local library be open?
- We are opening libraries on a phased basis to protect the safety of our customers and staff. Library management are working closely with health and safety staff to ensure we establish safe practices for providing library services.
What services are currently not available?
The following services will not be available in the library:
- Reference Services
- Leisure Seating
- PC Internet/Wi-Fi Access and associated services
- Library Events/Programming in branches
- Toilet access – except in emergencies
What other services are available?